Humboldt Asians & Pacific Islanders in Solidarity
Arcata Playhouse Migrations
October 1, 2022 11:00 am(Baldwin Street near Arcata Elementary School
HAPI Performance at Cahill Park.
at the top of the ramp leading to Cahill Park.)
VIDEO: HAPI Migrations Performance
This year HAPI told the story of the Chinese migration to Humboldt County in the late 1800s, subsequent expulsion, banning of Chinese and other Asians until the mid-1950s, and their return.
Short scripts were read at 9 stations. Each station represented words that will be used in the Eureka Chinatown Project monument and described the Chinatown history and journey.
Monument words include:
1. Hope: Xī Wàng (Andrew Cha)
2. Gold Mountain: Gam Saam (Ted Hsu)
3. Chinatown: Huá Rén Jiē (Skyler Wrigley)
4. Expulsion: Pái Huá (Patricia Lai)
5. Resistance: Dí Zì (Brieanne Mirjah)
6. Resilience: Gān Róu (Gary Thawatchai Ronne)
7. Return: Fáng Húi (Sheri Woo)
8. Community: Hopdawksei (Lee Sook Ying/ Sue Lee)
9. Hope (Looking forward): Zháng Wàng (Fiona Ronne McNiel)
The event ended with a reading by poet Daryl Chinn. The poem will be part of the Monument.